These twelve men were sent out by Jesus with the following instructions: …
“Go and preach, ‘The Kingdom of heaven is near!’ (Mt 10:5.7)
In his 2015 encyclical, Laudato Si, Pope Francis calls all Roman Catholics to be stewards of creation. With this in mind, we evaluated the role of our 'CTK Stewards' and that these children would take a leading role in responding to the demands of Catholic Social Teaching; being pro-active in finding ways of responding locally, nationally and globally.
Pupil voice is very important to us at Christ the King. Therefore, all children are provided with the opportunity to apply to be a CTK Steward. Having create a poster explaining why they would be an excellent candidate a chosen few have been selected to represent their class. The CTK Stewards will support and assist Mrs Breslin and Mrs Moloney in leading the Catholic Life, Collective Worship and RE of our school. It is expected that these pupils will provide a great example for the rest of the school, actively living out their faith by demonstrating the Gospel Virtues and British Values.
Some of the tasks that the children undertake are:
- Working collaboratively with others, such as teachers, other CTK pupils and pupils from other schools to prepare and lead creative and well-constructed experiences of prayer and liturgy.
- Leading aspects of the Live Simply Award
- Monitoring, evaluating and updating prayer areas and resources
- Contributing to our school’s evaluation of out Catholic life and mission, taking a lead in planning improvements to it
- Leading assemblies at other schools to explain the role of a CTK Steward
- Discussing Charitable Outreach, planning for opportunities to help others and distributing donations to charity