Check if you or your child has coronavirus symptoms
If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), get a test as soon as possible. Stay at home until you get the result.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least 1 of these symptoms.
What to do if you have symptoms
If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- Get a test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible.
- Stay at home and do not have visitors until you get your test result – only leave your home to have a test.
Anyone you live with, and anyone in your support bubble, must also stay at home until you get your result.
Get a test to check if you have coronavirus
What is a support bubble?
A support bubble is where someone who lives alone (or just with their children) can meet people from 1 other household.
Find out more about meeting people from outside your household on GOV.UK.
Urgent advice: Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:
- you're worried about your symptoms
- you're not sure what to do
Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service
Call 111 if you cannot get help online. Do not go to places like a GP surgery, hospital or pharmacy.
Babies and children
Call 111 if you're worried about a baby or child under 5.
If your child seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call 999.
Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.
Get more advice about coronavirus in children.
More in Check if you or your child has coronavirus symptoms
- Check if you or your child has coronavirus symptoms
- Coronavirus in children
Page last reviewed: 21 August 2020
Next review due: 28 August 2020